Articles and Papers

IQ and Educational assessment - implications for testing for ADHD, Learning Difficulties, Asperger's Disorder, Giftedness, Gifted Learning Difficulties, Nonverbal Learning Difficulties

(Taken from the Learning Difficulties Coalition NSW newsletter Issue 4, 2012)

How do I know if I should see a Psychologist or a Paediatrician for my child?

Paediatricians or Psychologists see children with suspected attention difficulties, learning difficulties, behavioural issues, developmental delays and other developmental issues. Paediatricians are medical practitioners and can prescribe medication whereas Psychologist cannot prescribe medication. Depending on the presenting issue, children often see both a Psychologist AND a Paedatrician who often work in a collaborative way to ensure the best treatment for your child. Paediatricians come from a medical perspective while a Psychologist comes more from a behavioural perspective.

Should I see the School Counsellor first?

School Counsellors often don't have the time or the resources available to conduct psychometric or educational assessments. They generally refer to private practitioners for assessments. They can assist children with their issues within the school environment where they work and often observe children across the school day.

What is the difference between an educational assessment and a psychometric assessment?

A Psychometric assessment is an assessment that is concerned with the theory and technique of psychological measurement. These assessments include the measurement of knowledge, abilities, attitudes, personality traits and educational measurement.

To read the full article please click here